The Old American Can Factory is an historic, six-building, 130,000 sq ft industrial complex in Gowanus, Brooklyn that houses a curated community of more than 300 artisans, visual/performing artists, poets/writers, filmmakers, architects/designers, publishers, non-profit organizations and others working in the creative industries. The (OA) Can Factory is owned by LMS Realty Associates LLC (LMS) and was developed and is operated by XØ Projects Inc (XØp).
The (OA) Can Factory complex was built in phases between c. 1879 and c. 1919, first as Somers Brothers Decorated Tin Can Co and after 1901, as American Can Co. The complex was in full operation through World War II, then gradually fell into disrepair under different owners until 1983, when six of the seven original buildings were acquired by LMS.
LMS made modest improvements to the buildings and attracted several industrial tenants. In 1989, after a major fire destroyed most of the rear mill building, XØp was engaged to facilitate the engineering and restoration of that building. In 1991, XØp moved its office into The (OA) Can Factory, and in 1996, assumed management of the complex. Beginning in 2003, and over several years, XØp re-developed all six buildings with a focus on serving the arts and culture industries.
At The (OA) Can Factory, between 1996 and 2012, XØp produced and presented hundreds of exhibitions, performances, markets, lectures and other cultural events in and around the complex, often in collaboration with other institutions, to audiences totaling more than 100,000 persons.
In 2013, XØp initiated a comprehensive visioning and planning process with the intent of growing The (OA) Can Factory community by building an additional ~200,000 sq ft to accommodate expanded facilities and additional programming. The expanded complex will be known as INDUSTRIANA®GC at The (OA) Can Factory.
Additional information is available upon request.
For information about XØ Projects Inc, go to XOPROJECTS.COM